Saturday, November 3, 2007

Ubuntu on Macbook

Was thinking of installing Linux but seems that Bootcamp beta license is not valid after Oct - so i could not find a link to the beta and all the sites were updated to point to Leapord. The options I had was to either buy Bootcamp or rather upgrade to Leopord. I had no intension to do any of that. I just wanted a OSS operating system and charging to install an OSS is like loosing freedom! The other option was to use rEFit.
I had used reFIT before and I thought I will just use rEFit (refit.org) and parted to resize the partition. reFIT is a nice boot manager which shows the list of operating system during boot, includes booting from DVD/CD media. I installed rEFit and downloaded Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (the code name for the latest 7.10 version). I had purchased some Kodak CD -R media from Staples and thought I will use them to burn this image. To my surprise I tried it three times and could not verify the burnt image and so gave up for now. I think the CD -R has some issues or there is some compatibility issue between my Mac and CD -R. I suspect that the former one is true - probably some manufacturing defect or something.

Still waiting and hoping to find an option to install! Fedora 8 is scheduled to be released on 8th of November. I may rather install Fedora 8 if I don't get a resolution for the CD media issue.

No comments: